Nieuw onderwerp beginnen

Improving the beep base antenna?

The beep base has a compact antenna for transmitting to a lorawan gateway, but the signal from this ceramic patch antenna (mounted on the inside of the PCB enclosure) sometimes just isn't powerful enough to reach the gateway.

Especially when the beep base is placed at a distant hive. Or when the signal path is blocked by trees, walls, or by other hives.

But this built-in antenna can be replaced to improve signal reception: who has done so?

I use on 1 location an omni-antenna 12 dBi attached to the PCB and a yagi-antenna 12.5 dBi on the AP.

I used a LoRa antenna, type Mikrotik LoRa 868 6,5 dBi.

I had some problems on 1 location with the steel mesh work of Sq. 40 mm, which must protect against goat attacks on the farm, but which also does not let LoRa 868  frequency pass through.

I am also trying to use on a other location a 12,5 dBi 868 omni antenna, vertical mounted on a pole.

The Beep case is not watertight. 

I try to use an aluminum industrial enclosure of Rose (art. 01081306) W80 H125 D57.

Please be noted that the internal antenna in the Beep-base box is horizontal mounted, and in close proximity of the steel legs. Both horizontal mounted antenna and the steel legs individually reduce the TX/RX significantly.

Glad to hear that the ground plane antenna does the trick. Did you have any issues with rainwater entering the hole that you drilled in the side of the PCB-enclosure?

1 persoon vindt dit leuk

I connected an "Aurel GP 868 Ground Plane antenna" to my BEEPbase as it would not connect to the LORA network gateway with the internal antenna, due to a large stone wall in the way.  I used a ".96 inch / 5CM U.FL IPX IPEX to SMA Female Bulkhead Mini PCI Pigtail Antenna Cable IPEX Aerial Extension 1.13mm Cable" to connect to the PCB board aerial connection and the other end to a small hole I drilled in the side of the case.  This adaptation worked well and the BEEPbase data now makes it to the LORA gateway.

Inloggen of registreren om een reactie te posten